Based on lewis structure analysis, what is the formal charge of the central atom in clf3
We know the lewis structure of ClF3 is –
So, the central atom in lewis’s structure of ClF3 is Chlorine (Cl). Let’s find the formal charge of it.
The formal charge can be calculated using the formula given below.
- Formal charge = [ valence electrons – nonbonding electrons- ½ (bonding electrons)]
For the Chlorine (Cl) central atom
- Valence electrons of Chlorine = 7
- Bonding electrons = 3 single bonds = 3(2) = 6 electrons
- Non-bonding electrons = 2 lone pairs = 2(2) = 4 electrons
- Formal charge = 7 – 4 – 6/2 = 7 – 4 – 3 = 7 – 7 = 0
So, based on the analysis, the formal charge of the central atom in ClF3 is Zero.
Also check –
|Electron geometry||Trigonal bipyramidal|
|The formal charge on the central atom||Zero|
About the author
Welcome to Topblogtenz, My name is Vishal Goyal. I am an engineer, chemistry tutor, blogger, and founder of topblogtenz.com. I'm a science geek with a passion for life sciences and chemistry. Being a chemistry tutor and having a degree in Engineering, I know how hard it is to learn by yourself, that is why I created a site where you can find help related to science and chemistry before everyone else.